October 31, 2019
Dear St. Mary’s Parents/Guardians,
Below is important information regarding upcoming changes at St. Mary’s Elementary School. Please know that a reduction of a teacher at St. Mary’s is due to a shortage of teachers. As a result, there is a reduction of one teacher at our school. We were not able to hire anyone for the grade 4 position and had to make adjustments to our current staff complement.
This affects the configuration of our school as follows:
- As of November 13:
- Sheryl Zoski-Charles will teach grade 4 LA and Math and Ms. Kryssie Cameron will teach grade 4 science, social studies, art, health, and music. Mrs. Zoski Charles will no longer take the grade 2 students for language arts and math.
- The grade 2 students will return to their homeroom teachers [Ms Brand and Ms Winsor] for language arts and math rather than going to Mrs. Zoski-Charles.
- Zoski-Charles will continue as our literacy coach for .25 of the school day and take 2 small groups for targeted reading skills [Empower].
- Grade 5 and 6 [Ms.Vaandering and Ms. Buchan] will retain the teachers in place for the remainder of the school year.
- K4 will no longer be offered at St. Mary’s. The last day for K4 is Wednesday, November 6. The choice to end K4 programming did not come easy as we certainly do value the programming that we were able to offer. We will miss the K4 crew and look forward to seeing a number of the K4 students enter our ECS program in September 2020. We encourage K4 parents to access the afternoon program through Brighter Futures [Headstart].
- Afrakomah had resigned from her grade 4 position at St. Mary’s last month and her last day is Friday, November 1, 2019. Mrs. Pam Boese will be teaching the Grade 4 class for the week of November 4th – 8th. Mrs. Boese is a certified teacher and has been subbing at St. Mary’s for the past few years. Mrs. Boese’s coverage in the grade 4 classroom will allow for us to make the transition to the new configuration to begin November 13.
The staff of St. Mary’s will continue to work in the best interest of our students and continue to provide the excellent programming parents have come to expect.
If you have questions about programming, please do not hesitate to call the school [780-927-3201].
Thank you for your understanding in this matter.